Preparedness Challenge - January Week 2 is the week you've been waiting for. A chance to get organized and clean out your kitchen. This week you'll make two preparedness binders and clean out your kitchen cupboards. If you have a basement and are super brave, you can clean out your food storage room as well. Let's get to work.
1. Make Two Preparedness Binders
- If you haven't already, sign up for my weekly emails on the top left of my website. Each email will include the printable of the challenge.
- Download and print these binder covers My Disaster Plan binder and My Home Storage Plan.
- Find or buy two 1 1/2" binders and two sets of 8 divider tabs.
- Slide your binder covers in the clear fronts.
- Label "My Disaster Plan" binder tabs:
- First Aid
- Label "My Home Storage Plan binder tabs:
- Prep Challenges
- Food Prep
- Food INV
- Non-Food INV
- EM Fund (Emergency Fund)
- Print the LDS Home Storage Center price list. Put it behind the PRICES tab in "My Home Storage Plan" binder. *NOTE: Scroll about two-thirds down on that page link.
- File any preparedness handouts floating around the house in your binders. *NOTE: "My Disaster Binder" is not for important papers like insurance, medical, wills, etc. That would be an Emergency Binder.
2. Organize Your Kitchen Cupboards
- Take all the food out of your kitchen cupboards and put it on your table our counters.
- Throw away expired or damaged foods, and foods you don't eat anymore and toss it.
- Tomato based products have a 2-year shelf life because they're acidic. Long-term food doesn't last forever except sugar and honey. Canned flour has a limited shelf life of 8 to 10 years. When in doubt, toss it. Or you can try it and then toss it.
- Wipe those shelves clean.
- Organize foods into categories: small canned foods, pasta/rice/potatoes, baking ingredients, breakfast items, etc. This will help you see what you need to buy or inventory.
- PRINT the Basic Food Storage Inventory Page.pdf or Basic Food Storage Inventory Page.xls.
- List the shelf stable foods you have on the inventory page under the matching category.
- Put the inventory page in My Home Storage binder under the HOME INV tab.
- Organize any other cupboards or drawers in your kitchen.
Getting organized feels so good. I'm sure you'll figure out some great ways to do it!
The Food Storage Organizer