Everyone imagines evacuating in their cars. I imagine going on foot as roads may be too congested with vehicles. From home I imagine going to the LDS church close by, or our larger LDS stake center. Some of you would walk to a school or other community center.
If you had to evacuate quickly, and some family members had minor injuries, you may not have time to use your regular first aid supplies. So, put some useful items in your kit.
Good thing you have some water bottles in your pack from Preparedness Challenge January Week 1, so you can cleanse a wound.
Here are a few ideas for about $6.00 for the dollar store.
1. Gather First Aid Items Into Your Grab and Go Kit
- $1.00 Bandana. Could be used as a large bandage, head wrap, hand protection, foot wrap, etc. Find at a dollar store typically in a 2-pk.
- $1.00 Travel first aid kit with bandages, alcohol wipes and tweezers. Make your own from items you already have at home and perhaps purchase alcohol prep pads at a dollar store.
- $1.00 Mini Sewing kit. Needle, thread, thimble, safety pins, etc. Find at a dollar store.
- $1.00 Elastic bandages. Great for supporting a sprained ankle. Find at a dollar store.
- $1.00 Feminine pads. Besides feminine use, these can also be used ad a wound compression bandage. Find at a dollar store or use some from your own supply.
- $1.00 Duct tape. Wrap a few yards on a stick or popsicle stick. In an emergency, use it to hold a compression bandage in place. Hopefully you have some around the house.
Put all items in a waterproof Ziploc bag and mark FIRST AID.
If you have several young children, you could adapt the kits. Perhaps yours will have more first aid supplies than theirs, but I plan to put the items above in my 14 year-old's kits as she may need to evacuate if I'm not home.
I’m sure there are other items you thought of, but I hope this basic list gets you started with some lightweight first aid supplies for your kit. I’m excited to work on this myself.
Best wishes on becoming better prepared for emergencies,
The Food Storage Organizer