Last week I finished the Christmas gift package for my daughter serving a mission in Chile. Following the tradition of her brothers, each gift had a scripture attached that correlated with the gift. This sister missionary Christmas package had a more feminine touch, but was fun to put together.
A few tips:
- Keep the boxes under 4 lbs. so there are no problems with customs fees.
- Use a postal scale at home before you get to the post office so you don't have any surprises.
- Choose gift items that are lightweight. Candy weighs a lot, so if I bought a pound of it, I only sent a few ounces of each kind.
- Start out with a couple of ideas, but then get imaginative when you get to the store. I had the best luck at Walgreens.
- I asked for ideas from my missionary in each letter I wrote her for the past month. Because her birthday is in January, I am saving some of the ideas for then.
- It's best to send things that can be eaten or worn. Missionaries don't have much storage space. Especially these days with four of them in a room. I sent a few inexpensive Christmas decorations, but know they will be left behind in the apartment on transfer day.
- Search for a correlating scripture using this online LDS Search The Scriptures link. That part was fun! You can get pretty creative.
- Remove all cardboard and plastic wrap to help reduce weight for shipping.
- This year I used clear plastic bags with toppers I printed (see below). But I did warn my missionary that she would see her gifts if she opened the box too much.
- Remember a gift for her companion.
- I packed a few Christmas decorations in the top of one box (I sent two). And also tucked several smaller gifts in a cute purple glitter stocking so she could not see them.
- Missionaries like Santa hats, so hers has glitter. Thanks, Walgreens!
- I found the cute Minion Whhhhaaa t-shirt in the men's department at Walmart.
A few of the gifts with the toppers
Dove Chocolate candy
|Pictures of Christ|
|Mini Christmas balls in "Liahona"|
|Christmas lights for the apartment|
|Cinnamon, butterscotch and gold candies|
|Peeps Gingerbread men|
|Starburst jelly beans|
|Princess candy cane left in its box|
|Our favorite lotion for dry skin|
Happy gifting! Do you have any ideas of gifts to send a sister missionary? Please share!