- Cleaning Supplies. Count your supplies and decide if you are storing enough. A few extra supplies will help you in emergencies. Make a note about which items you want to increase your supply of, and gradually build it up.
- 5 oz. Baking Powder (1 1/2 YSL)
- 4 oz. Baking Soda (2 YSL)
- 4 oz. Cornstarch (ISL) LT
- ISL = indefinite shelf life, YSL = year shelf life, YFL = year freezer shelf life
- Accumulate 14 gallons of emergency water per person. That's about 4x24 ct. cases of 16.9 oz. bottles. If you refill your own containers, change them every 6 months; whereas commercially bottled water can be stored indefinitely. Water is an absolute necessity, so don't scrimp on it! You will need extra for hygiene, cleaning and cooking. Pick up a case here and there, but get this done quickly.
- Start small, but be consistent. Add $2.00 or more per person each week, and only use it for real emergencies. This is not an investment fund.
- Do STEPS 1, 2 and 3 simultaneously, and then start storing a supply that will last a year. If you see an LT by an item in STEP 1, it usually has a longer shelf life like 20 to 30+ years.
- Scrub brush. This is one of the cleanup supplies used after Hurricane Sandy. Would be useful for many emergencies.
- 72-HOUR KIT: Add $10 + into an equipment fund for an item below.
- AUTO EMERGENCY KIT: Add $10 + into an equipment for an item below.
- EQUIPMENT FUND: Many of you have been working on your 72-hour kits and auto emergency kits with me for the past 9 months, and they are probably complete. So for the past 12 weeks we have been saving up for a more expensive equipment item to buy this month. However, if you are not ready to do this, you may want to work on your 72-hour kits. If you saved enough, you may want to purchase one of these items:
- Electric Pressure Cooker $100,
- Pressure Canner/Cooker $100,
- Tent $150,
- 2-Burner Outdoor Propane Stove $100,
- Volcano Cook Stove $100,
- Indoor/Outdoor Heater $100,
- Electric Wheat Grinder $250,
- Chain saw $200-300,
- Solar Oven $300,
- KitchenAid Mixer $300,
- Bosch Mixer $420,
- or Generator $800+.
- EQUIPMENT GOAL: After Christmas, purchase the item you have been saving for.
HOW TO USE THIS LIST:
1. Decide on a monthly or weekly home storage budget.
2. Realistically decide what you want to gather or do from the list.
3. Multiply amounts by number of family members.
4. Adjust amount for younger children.
5. Adapt, adapt, adapt. These are only suggestions. Pick and choose.
6. Each week look for store sales that match your goals.
7. Carry your list with you or put it on your cell phone notepad.
If you want to see the entire month, go to the December Monthly Food Storage List.
You are never behind if you take one step forward.