Here is what we are working on this week:
INVENTORY: Freezer. Count what you have. Decide what you need. Hang a dry erase board on the outside of the door to keep an inventory like this. And check out this organized and nicely labeled freezer.
3-MONTH FOOD STORAGE per person:
Food bars - 12 ea. Breakfast or granola bars your family is used to.
Popcorn - 1 box microwave or 1 small bag kernals
Chocolate syrup - 12 oz. (opt.) Can flavor powdered milk.
2-WEEK'S WATER: Accumulate 14 gallons of water per person (or 4x24 ct. cases per person). Sales on 24 ct: Albertson's $2.49 ends 7/17, Macey's & Dick's $2.99 ends 7/21
EMERGENCY FUND: Add $2.00 or more per person each week.
HOME STORAGE: Facial tissue, 1 box
72-HOUR KIT: Waterproof matches.
AUTO KIT: Waterproof matches.
EQUIPMENT: Canning jars & lids.
PREP GOAL: Collect 2 canning recipes. Perhaps 1 jam, and 1 peach. A few canning sites: Food In Jars, Canning Granny, and National Center For Home Food Preservation.
How to Use This List:
1. Decide on a monthly home storage budget.
2. Decide what you want to gather or do from the list.
3. Multiply amounts by number of family members.
4. Adjust amount for younger children.
5. Adapt, adapt, adapt. These are only suggestions. Pick and choose.
6. Each week look for store sales that match your goals.
7. Carry your list with you or put it on your cell phone notepad.
8. Here is a link to a list of items for the entire month.
You are never behind if you take one step forward!