- The new Family Home Storage program was created to make it easier for members and others worldwide to accomplish the program. The information on ProvidentLiving.org has been kept simple which makes it easier to be translated into multiple languages. We must remember that we belong to a worldwide church.
- The term "Year's Supply" of food is no longer part of the program terminology. However, you obviously have the freedom to store a year's supply of food if you decide this is the length of time that will work for your family, finances and circumstances. Some families store for a shorter period of time, and some longer. The main thing is to do what you feel is best for your family and to not go into debt to get it.
- There is no longer a specific amount of water to store. Some families worldwide cannot store a 2-week supply of water and must filter their water regularly. Members are encouraged to decide on their own the amount of water they feel they should store in their homes.
- There are no longer specific amounts of food to store. The former food storage calculator on ProvidentLiving.org was removed, and replaced with a very simple long-term food storage calculator. This of course does not mean this is all you should store. You are encouraged to decide on your own what your family eats and wishes to store. Members may use other food storage calculators created by others, however, it's important to store what your family will eat and adjust food storage calculators accordingly.
- You may store foods your family normally eats for your 3-month food storage supply. This can include canned and commercially packaged foods. Foods should be storable, and many perishable foods would not last 3 months. "A portion of longer-term supply items may be rotated into the three-month supply." ProvidentLiving.org
- Regarding establishing a financial reserve for emergencies, there are no specific amounts suggested. Families are to decide on their own what to save, and where to save it.
- The main thing is to do something! Don't sit still, but start gathering your 3 month supply, some water, even if it is one can at a time.
We've been given agency to choose. We are encouraged to seek more information available from books, the web, blogs, etc., and to share our ideas. Sometimes we want it spelled out in detail which means we want someone else to do the math, the work, the thinking and the pondering for us. But I believe as we become wise stewards, we will be guided to know how best to care for the needs and circumstances of our individual families so that when adversity comes, and it always does, we will be prepared.
I will be editing some of my old posts to stay consistent with the guidelines of the Church. It will take some time, but I am excited about this Family Home Storage program and feel encouraged to continue to share my ideas with you.