Homemade Prego Spaghetti Sauce
Makes 16 cups
1 lb. cooked ground beef (double if you like more meat)
2 T. dehydrated onion
1 1/2 t. garlic powder
1 t. dried basil
1 t. dried parsley
1 t. ground black pepper
1 t. dried oregano
2 t. salt
1/8 c granulated sugar
2-6 oz. can tomato paste
4-14.5 oz. or 2-29 oz can stewed or crushed tomatoes
4-15 oz. or 2-29 oz. can tomato sauce
1. Brown ground beef and onion in large pot. Drain fat.
2. Put stewed tomatoes in blender and slightly puree. You may need to puree 2 small cans or 1 large at a time.
3. You will need to divide meat, tomato products, and seasoning between two large pots unless you have a commercial sized pot.
4. Slowly bring to a boil at a medium high heat. Let boil for 10 minutes, covered
5. Reduce to lowest heat. Cover and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
Portion sauce by planning on 3/4 c. to 1 c. per person depending on your family. Then put it in freezer ziploc bags. Press all the air out so you have nice flat bags. Let the bags cool. Then stack them in your freezer in a cardboard box if you have one. Another option is to put the sauce in cool whip containers.
Write the item name & date with a permanent marker.